Do your products need CE marking?

“Do my products need CE marking?” Not a single day passes by that we do not get this question. In this post, we will try to give you some guidance on how you can answer this question yourself. If after you have read the post you still have questions, or need assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to determine if a product needs CE marking. Unfortunately, there is no authority that provides a product lists or nomenclature that names the products that require CE. Instead you will need to investigate this yourself. We recommend the following steps.

Do my products need CE marking?
Do my products need CE marking?

Step 1: Do you intend to sell in a country in which CE marking applies?

The CE marking applies to products placed in the market or put into service in the European Economic Area. Even so, it only it applies only for certain product groups or product aspects, as we will see in the next step. To answer the question whether a product needs to be CE marked, you first need to first check if the country or countries in which countries the products are going to be placed in the market or used are countries that require CE.

The CE marking is required only for certain products intended to be sold in the countries of the European Economic Area (EEA)

The CE marking is required in the countries that together form the European Economic Area (EEA):

  1. Austria (became member in 1995)
  2. Belgium (Founder Member in 1957)
  3. Bulgaria (2007)
  4. Croatia (2013)
  5. Cyprus (2004)
  6. Czech Republic (2004)
  7. Denmark (1973)
  8. Estonia (2004)
  9. Finland (1995)
  10. France (FM 1957)
  11. Germany (FM 1957)
  12. Greece (1981)
  13. Hungary (2004)
  14. Ireland (1973)
  15. Italy, (FM 1957)
  16. Latvia (2004)
  17. Lithuania (2004)
  18. Luxembourg (FM 1957)
  19. Malta (2004)
  20. The Netherlands (FM 1957)
  21. Poland (2004)
  22. Portugal (1986)
  23. Romania (2007)
  24. Slovakia (2004)
  25. Slovenia (2004)
  26. Spain (1986)
  27. Sweden (1995)

…as well as three members of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA):

    * Iceland
    * Norway
    * Liechtenstein 

Although Switzerland is member of the EFTA, it does not take part in the EEA.

PLEASE NOTE: Turkey is neither member of the EU, nor is considered a part of the EEA. However, Turkey has fully implemented many of the European CE marking directives. This means that for many products they also require CE Marking.

PLEASE NOTE ALSO: Now that the Brexit has been completed, and after a transition period, the United Kingdom will not longer require the CE marking, but they will require the UKCA conformity marking instead.

If the product is not intended to be made available in the aforementioned countries, it will not need CE marking.

The next step is to determine if the product is covered by one or more of the European CE marking directives or regulations.

Step 2: Is the product covered by the scope of a CE directive or regulation?

The CE marking is required only for products for which a CE marking directive or regulation has been adopted. There are directives/regulations for the following types of products (please note that one or more directive/regulation can apply to a single product):

Are your product within the scope of one of these directives or regulations? If so, they require CE marking.

Products that do not require CE

The CE marking is NOT required for the following products:

  • Chemicals
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Cosmetics
  • Foodstuffs

Products not covered by the European CE marking directives may still fall within the scope of other EU or national legislation. If no CE directive or regulation applies, the General Product Safety Directive (2001/95/EC) may apply. This General Product Safety Directives requires that products are safe, but is does not require any marking.

Need help?

At CEMARKING.NET, we have developed a Six Step CE Marking Framework that helps companies to do CE self-certification. We offer this Framework as an On-Line Workshop, as a Coaching Program, and as a Done-For-You service. The first step of this Framework is dedicated to determining which directives and standards apply to your products, and how you can do the CE marking efficiently and in a cost-effective way. We now offer this “Step 1” of our framework as a separate service. That means you can get a report with an overview of the applicable requirements and recommendations with the steps you need to take, without investing in the full service package. Contact us for more information on our services, click the Start Now-button.

Further reading

898 thoughts on “Do your products need CE marking?”

  1. Hi!! I´m writing to ask you if Chemical and Biological indicatros for strilization processes need the CE marking. If they do, is it autodeclarative? Or do I need some kind of external certification for it? Another issue, i´ve been told that France stopped recongizing them as medical devices since 2015, do you have any information regarding this?
    Thank you so much in advance for your time…

    • Hello Melisa,

      That is a very specific question for which I will need to review your documentation and possibly involve a consultant. We can do this as a consulting job. Please contact me if you are interested in this.

      • Han, thank you for responding so shortly! Could you please provide me an estimative cost of a consulting job of this kind? What I really need to know is why this sterilization indicators are recognized as medical devices by France, and not by other countries in the European Community. And if there is some kind of document or directive where this is mentioned.

    • I don’t know if medical cables require CE, but if they do, the CE certification needs to be done before market access, not after market access.

  2. Hi, Han !

    I have one more question for you, because i can`t find out. Whats the difference between Declaration of Conformity and Certification of Conformity. It is mandatory to have Certification of Conformity ? Maybe declaration of conformity is enough? To be certificated costs not small amout of extra money and declaration of conformity i can print myself. Our area is in Low Voltage Directive with IEC 61439-1 harmonised standard

    Something like this would be enough ?

    Thanks for your answer Han !

    Have a nice day !

  3. Hi Han,

    We are a company that manufactures small 3D printers that use an external 12V 1A power supply. The external power supply has the required CE markings but does the printer need it as well?

  4. Hi Han, I produce designer lighting and understand that my 250v lights will require CE marking. However, I also produce some lights that run on 12v and thus are under the low voltage directive. However, will they also be subject to the emc directive? It would also be helpful to know which precise standards I must meet for my lights? They are fairly standard table and floor lights. Regards Kevin

    • Hi K. Thank you.

      Actually lights on 12V do not necessarily fall under the Low Voltage Directive. Because, the treshhold in this Directive is 50 VAC and 75 VDC. If your lights are connected to the power mains, they fall within the scope of this directive.

      The EMC directive typically applies to lights, because often there are electronics like switchers, dimmers etc. On the list of standards, you will find standard dedicated to lighting fixtures and lamps.

  5. Hi Han. Does electrical equipment being imported to the EU speficially for building a datacentre need the CE mark? It won’t be distributed generally but is project specific. Many thanks

    • Hi Amelia,

      Yes, all products covered by a CE Directive that are intended to be put into service in the EU, must be CE marked as well.

  6. Hello Han,

    I’m building a single pressure vessel manufactured from standard piping components (pipes, bends, tees, etc.). The intended use is for testing of PSVs. Would this equipment require a CE mark? Regards, Stefsson

    • Dear Stefsson,

      The answer to this question depends on a lot of parameters. The Directive you will need to check is the Pressure Equipment Directive: You will need to know the maximum allowed pressure (in bar), the dimensions of the piping/volume of the pressure bearing housing, the type of fluid and whether the fluid is considered dangerous under the directive.

      When you need help, let me know.

  7. I make retro cushions for the home, and market them at adults would these need CE testing? I have looked at home furnishings on Not on the High Street and they have lots and lots of cushions, some even aimed at childrens bedrooms and they dont have a CE mark. Can someone please advise me. Kind regards Dionne

  8. Hi, Han,

    I work for a company which markets urine analysis strips. The strips in question have CE mark for professional use. Am i legally allowed to sell these strips in pharmacy for home use?
    Kind regards. Niv

    • Hi Niv,

      You would need to discuss that with the manufacturer. If they strictly intended the product to be used only by professionals, and did not assess the use by consumers, they may not want this, because then they could not guarantee the compliance.

      • Thank you for your answer, Han. Appreciate it.

        I understand from your message that legally i will not face any problems as long as the manufacture is OK with this.

        Kind regards,

  9. Hi Han,

    I am planning to import some natural stones from overseas and act like a middle man but I don’t want my buyer and supplier get to know each other to protect possible future business opportunities. My suppliers’ products are CE marked and my buyers are asking CE and DoP but if I show my suppliers’ CE certificate I may loose lots of Business in the future.

    How am I going to issue CE marks under my company and trading name?

    Thank you so much for your much-appreciated answer from now.

    • Hi Gokhan,

      You can issue your own DoP and CE. You can do this on the basis of the information provided by the supplier. This is possible if the supplier is willing to share his Technical File with you. If the supplier is not willing to do that, you can still do the CE marking yourself, but in that case you need to provide the test data and Technical File yourself.

      Hope this is helpful.

          • Hi Han,

            I hope that you are doing well and everything is ok with you. Sorry for bothering you again. After your great help, I was able to technical files from from my suppliers.

            But know there is another question that bothers me a lot. As you know that TAB carried out all the tests for my suppliers and all signed documents direct to their trading name.

            How am I going to draw up a CE Certificate and DoP by myself? I assume that I cannot copy all the information or just change the name of the my suppliers’ names and put my trading name there.

            Don’t I need to get the permission of the TAB? Because all the documents were prepared for my suppliers not for my company.

            Even the trading standards officers couldn’t say anything on this.

            What would be the easiest solution for me? Being a authorised representative instead of being an impoter?

            Thank you so much in advance.

            Kind regards.

  10. Hi Han,

    We are furniture and lighting dealer based in the UK. We are
    interested in importing some American fittings that are not CE certified. Will
    they be compliant for use in the UK if we have a British electrician re wire the
    lights with British standard components?


        • You will need:
          1. Test reports showing the product passed the appropriate tests in accordance with the relevant European harmonised standards;
          2. Technical File;
          3. Label the products in accordance with the requirements;
          4. Declaration of Conformity;
          5. CE marking;
          6. Procedure to regularly check whether the standards you have used are updated (and if so, re-assess conformity).

          I hope this is helpful.

          • Hi Han
            I have bought lights from abroad to sell in the UK.
            How do I go about doing the above steps? Who should I contact?

  11. Hi Han,

    So I have an a couple of analyzers in an enclosure (cabinet) from Germany with CE marking, but I am removing the electrical panel along with the analyzers in the cabinet and mounting it in one of my american cabinets.
    My question here is if I do that, do I lose the CE marking on the electrical panels, analyzers and equipment once I have them in the new enclosure (cabinet)?

    • Hi PM,

      You are making a functional modification to the product, and that means that CE compliance of the original manufacturer is not longer ensured. You need to do the CE marking again.

      • Thank you for the reply Han.
        We are not really making any modifications to the analyzers, just moving them from 1 cabinet to the other. So the function of the analyzers are still the same as we don’t really open them or do wiring changes.
        We still lose the CE marking on the analyzer? Please advise and thank you so much!

  12. Hi Han!

    I work in a company which is designing building based renewable generation (solar pannels mixed with wind turbines). It’s obvious that our product falls under the Machinery Directive, but does our product also fall under the low voltage directive? Because it seems that the Machinery Directives excludes a lot of machinery from the LV Directive. And also, as a fixed installation, we should not fall under the EMC Directive is that correct?



    • Dear Numa,

      I am not ready to advise for concrete product/cases if I have not studied the details. However, I can inform you that if a product is covered by the Machinery Directive, one does not declare also compliance with the Low Voltage Directive. The reason is that the Machinery Directive contains the same electrical safety requirements, and refers to electrical safety standards by itself. I also think it is very likely that the EMC directive applies in this case.

      I hope this is helpful.

      • Hi Han,
        Thanks a lot for your answer !
        If I understood correctly, we must only declare compliance with the Machinery Directive, but not with the two other ones, even though we have to fulfill the safety requirements of these two.
        Kind Regards,

        • Sorry for not being clear: if the EMC directive applies (does the product entail electronics or active components), you also have to declare conformity with the EMC directive (and do the conformity assessment, of course).

  13. Hi
    If i plan on making mirror with light switch and 14x3w LED bulbs.
    switch and lamp holders all have CE stickers on them and all where bought in UK, do i need to have CE marking on the mirror when its all put together so i could sell it on e-bay as hand made furniture?


    • Hi Miks,

      Do you intend to sell these under your own brand name? You will be responsible for the end product. How did you ensure that the switch and lamp holders indeed comply? Just look at the CE marking? I am afraid that is not enough. In practice we see that often the CE marked is affixed to non-compliant products. You will need to have access to the Technical File and to the test reports.
      Mirrors need CE marking in their own right. You need to look at the Construction Products Regulation.

      I hope this is helpful.

      • HI.
        thanks for response.
        I intend to sell them as self-employed with no brand name or anything, just as hand built furniture.
        Yes lamp holders and switch both had CE markings on them and some other markings that they have been tested. both where bought in local B&Q store so i believe all markings should be correct..
        Maybe you could then advise where and what should i need to do so that i could sell them as self-employed?


  14. Dear Han,

    I am currently trying to source a 4 into 1 extension cable for T8 LED tubes.

    We import VDE & TÜV tested & certified tubes (All technical files &
    test reports are present, and certificates check out), but we need a way of
    demonstrating these on 230V supply at the customer

    Because we have 4 different light colours to demonstrate, we have adopted for a
    1 – 4 demonstration cable where 1 230V power supply socket can power 4 x 10W
    led tubes to be illuminated at the same time.

    The cable (up till now) consists of:

    1.) Cable (VDE Certified), in H05VVH2-F 2×0.75m² (230V input to junction box),
    H03VVH2-F, 2×0.5mm² (4 pieces as supply from the junction box to the lamp

    2.) 4 x Switches (VDE certified), 1 for each piece of H03VVH2-F, 2×0.5mm²
    between the junction block and lampholder

    3.) 4 x T8/G13 lamp holders (IP65 & CE conform with test report)

    5.) Junction block (L & N connection bars (each copper bar consists of
    1 L or N wire in, 4 out, all soldered and placed with correct
    safety distance to each other) cast into a PC housing, IP6X)

    6.) Molded on CE Euro plug, 2 pin (VDE certified)

    We are now finished with the design & happy with the samples and have come
    to the point of independent testing in order to conform with the European low
    voltage directive, EMC & RoHS

    The problem we are experiencing at the moment, is which category do we place the product
    under, and what markings do we require on the product itself?

    As far as I can see, there is nothing comparable on the market at the moment.

    This product is solely intended for product demonstrations through ourselves and our
    sales/distribution partners, and not for re-sale to the open public (although
    we have no way of preventing this).

    • Dear Vince,

      These are the types of products that typically covered by the Low Voltage Directive (2014/34/EU), EMC Directive (2004/108/EC), RoHS, REACH and WEEE directives, and I believe normally they would need to be applied. The product may be specific and new, but I believe there are some generic standards for electrical safety and EMC that you can use for compliance testing.

      You state that the equipment is only for demonstration purposes. There are exemptions to CE marking for prototypes under the condition that you can ensure that the equipment is safe and under complete control and supervision. Controlled conditions would mean expert operators, restrictions to public contact with the product, avoiding inappropriate interaction with other neighbouring products etc.

      However, I am not sure the case you mention would qualify to be seen as a prototype.

      • Thanks for the info Han,

        I do not believe it will qualify as a prototype either, and this is why we will persue independent testing route. My perception of a prototype is a pre production product for testing purposes (whether market or technical testing). This will be a finished tested product.

        The generic standards are understood. What we are not sure of is how to class the product, as this dictates what information, other than the CE mark, has to be shown on the finished product?

        Reading through the (very detailed) information on your website, we have a large choice as the product comes under: Luminaire plugs and socket outlets for domestic use, Cables, Cord extension sets Plug + cable + socket outlet with or without passive components, Product with integrated plug and/or outlets. 230V for domestic use (e.g. charger for mobile phones, night lights), etc, etc? :-)

        Going from a worst case scenario, I believe if we follow the regulations for Luminaire plugs and socket outlets for domestic use, we should be on the safe side. The problem is, these where never deemed to be suitable for mobile use, so we come to Cord extension sets Plug + cable + socket outlet with or without passive components, but these are, to the best of my knowledge, never fitted with T8/G13 tube holders?.

  15. Hi,

    I work for an IT rental company in the UK and have a bit of a dilemma with CoC’s that I’m hoping you might be able to help me with.

    We purchased and built a large number of PC components and built a fleet of high end gaming machines. All components were purchased from authorized distributors and are all branded, no white box or OEM hardware was used. We shipped these machines to our client in the UK who then shipped them all over the world for their event.

    One of the machines failed in Serbia and they attempted to return it, however Serbian customs will not allow the machine to return to the UK unless we supply a certificate of conformity. I contacted our distributor and supplied all the individual component CoC’s for every last piece of hardware. However we are now advised that the CoC is for the machine as a whole and not the individual components.

    We are not a manufacturing company and had assumed that as PC components are regularly built by consumers there would be no need for any certification.

    What certification do we need, how do we attain it and finally do we actually need a CoC for a custom build PC?

    Thanks in advance

    Rob Adams

    rob dot adams at itr-events dot co dot uk

    • Hello Rob,

      In any case you need to test against the appropriate standards under the EMC Directive and Low Voltage Directive. You probably also need to comply with specific certification regarding gambling equipment.

  16. Hi Han

    We supply a battery operated motor with our BBQ rotisserie units. We do not supply an AC/DC adapter although the motor does have a socket for one. Do we still need CE approval for the motor?

    • Hi Paul,

      Yes, the motor is also covered by the EMC Directive. Also the electrical safety must be ensured in case a user would use an adapter.

  17. Hi Han,
    I am looking into doing some beta testing with users in the UK. Our product is already NRTL certified (ETL) in the US, but do we need to get a CE mark for doing beta testing? Or only when we start selling it? Thanks!

    • It is allowed to import pre-production units for beta testing without having to CE mark them. These units would be considered still in the manufacturing stage.

  18. Hello Han,
    I am building a proto-type boat in Finland. As long as this specific craft is not be sold on the market, it shouldn’t need CE marking. However, I want to purchase an outboard engine in Japan and privately import it to put on this craft. If this engine does not have CE marking, does it need to be CE marked? Both craft and engine won’t be sold on the market.

    • Dear Teppei,

      An outboard motor falls under the Recreational Craft Directive separately, and it requires CE marking when you import it.

  19. Hi Han,

    I am looking to sell products that have EL wire attached to them. The supplier for the EL wire sells the wire with a connector attached to it as well as all of the cables and the inverter (powered by two AA batteries). Once attached to my products, do I need the CE markings to sell within the UK (primarily)? Also, there is a possibility of us cutting the wire to a required length and attaching the connectors ourselves (soldered), however the inverter and associated cables would be from our supplier. Would this modification require CE markings?

    Thank you.

  20. Hello, Han
    Does my company need a CE mark on furniture exporting from Ukraine to EU market? If not – are there any other certificates my furniture needs to have? Where can I get such kind of information?
    Thanks in advance!

    • No furniture does not require CE. Your furniture must be safe in accordance with the General Product Safety Directive.

      • I’m sorry for my ignorance, but do i need any evidence of my furniture being safe, or I only must follow General Safety Requirements from the Directive?

  21. Hi Han,

    I would like to make personalised handmade fabric books for children and sell them in the UK. The CE label seems terrifying. Is it difficut roo obtain? What would the cost be?



  22. Hi Han,
    I am planning to market a plastic device that will be used to store and transfer food stuff. Does something like this fall under the foodstuff exemption or since it is a container of foodstuff it needs the CE mark?

    • Hi Lonnie,

      It does not need CE marking. However, you may want to look into European standards for products/materials intended for contact with foods.

  23. Hi Han,

    Do I need a CE marking on a old compressor installed in the EU countries before implementation on the directive which was refurbished ?

    Thank in advance,


    • Hello Paul,

      Does the refurbishment entail functional changes? Were non-original parts/components used in the refurbishment?

      • Hello Han,

        The compressor suffer an complete overhaul, without change in his original design and functionality. The compressor will be installed in the same area. Now the contractor ask for a derogation in order to provide only CE mark of the new components of the compressor. We decided to ask them for a Declaration of Conformity where to declare which of the mentioned directive ( PED, ATEX, Machinery Directive ) applied to the machine itself. I think that this observation cover our concern.

        Thank you


  24. Hello Han,

    I’m trying to put together the CE documentation for a new product that is basically composed of a series of other equipment, each of them having the required certifications. So basically what we want to sell is the process made possible by some pieces of equipment put together, us doing just the frames, positioning, connections between the involved parts etc. My question is: do I need to use any specific standards for this or is it enough just to guide myself by the applicable directive (in this case is the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC)?

    Kind regards,

    • Irina,

      It is not obligatory to use standards. However, you would need to prove with documentation that your design solutions are minimal as safe as what has been laid down in the standards. Using the standards give you the benefit of the presumption of conformity. I think in general it is more cumbersome to do conformity assessment without standards than with.

      • Han,

        Thank you for your fast response!
        I have another short question that I forgot to ask: If the unit we want to sell is only a pilot unit (so it’s not yet meant for series production), do we still need to certify it?

        Kind regards,

  25. Hello Han,

    I would appreciate some advice. I am developing a range of static gym equipment, weight benches etc and would like to know if these will require CE certification? These products will manufactured in the UK and hopefully distributed throughout Europe as non commercial gym equipment.

    Thanks in advance and best Regards.


  26. Hello Han,
    If a U.S. division of a company produces a pressure testing chamber for use at is UK sister company would CE certification be required to transfer the equipment? Would CE be required if the UK facility manufacture the equipment itself for in-house use?
    Thanks in Advance.

  27. Hello Han

    We produce small wine and cider press for home use that we sell in a few countries in Europe. Now we’ve got a hydraulic version that uses a simple bottle jack that has a CE mark on. Do we need a CE mark for the press as well, or is it enough that the hydraulic jack on the press has one? Or does a simple wine press need a CE mark at all?? Also, we buy an elctric apple mill from CZ that doesn’t have a CE mark. The manufacturer says it doesn’t need one but we think it does. Who’s right?
    Thanks and kind regrds,

  28. There is a lot of talk that a new legislation is on its way (it’s not already released) for those who manufacture children’s tutu outfits. Some say that these should be considered ‘play’ items and should follow a bear the ‘handmade soft toy’ CE marking requirement where as others state that if the item is intended for occasional use then CE marking need not be applicable. Do you know much about this please?

    You’ve mentioned in an earlier comment that Tutu dresses for occasional use do not have to be CE marked, how does this work please? As a seller how does one outline the number of uses the consumer might use or intend to use the item for?

    At what point does this ‘occasional use’ stipulation become a regular use stipulation and does that affect the CE marking guidelines?


    • Scott,

      Some tutu’s that are intended to be used by children in play require CE marking. If you sell tutu’s for use in ballet, the CE is not required. The criterion is the definition of ‘toy’ in the European Union’s Toys Directive:

      “Any product or material designed or intended whether or not exclusively for use in play by
      children under 14 years of age”.

      The following indicative criteria can help to determine whether products are to be considered as toys:
      – place of selling: toys are usually sold in specialised toy stores or in the toy departments
      of department stores. Products for adult collectors are more usually sold in specialised
      – target audience of the advertising and packaging: packaging and advertising designed to
      attract children would indicate that the product is to be considered as a toy;
      – price: toys may be sold at a lower price than pieces for adult collection or use;
      – small size: clothes for dolls, toy iron board are considered as toys;
      – double use: when a product has an intended playing use as well as another intended use,
      it could be considered as a toy if it has a significant playing value;
      – passive use:
      – products not intended to be touched or handled by children and which will be out
      of reach of children: products such as mobiles suspended from the ceiling which are
      permanently fixed and out of reach of children3 and do not presuppose active
      interaction by them are not considered as toys.
      – products not intended to be touched or handled by children but will be placed
      within the reach of the children: products which do not presuppose active
      interaction by children (passive use) but are within the reach of children can be
      regarded as toys if they have a play value (e.g. products intended to stimulate the
      sight, the hearing and movement of babies.)

      This list of indicative criteria is not exhaustive. It is recommended to use the criteria in
      combination with each other because taken in isolation they do not provide an adequate
      basis for an informed decision to be taken.

  29. Hi Han, do you know if a CE marking regulation for dog toys is on the way?

    Thanks in advance!

  30. Hi Han,
    I am looking to sell a lighting product manufactured in China. The components all individually are CE marked/certified, does the whole product also need to be tested/marked before selling into the EU?

    Thanks for your help.

  31. I came across an interesting project on the Raspberry Pi forum. A member who works in a hospital radio organisation, which I am guessing is either a charity or run by by volunteers.

    The person in question discovered that a particular area of the hospital didn’t get the regular broadcasts and obtained permission the stream the sound over the hospitals wifi network. In the ‘dead’ area he deployed a streaming radio player he made himself using a Raspberry Pi at its heart.

    It is a brilliant project, but it struck me that this will probably have not undergone any testing or evaluations with respect to CE marking.

    Should it have done?
    Is it actually a product? It is likely to have been given or donated to the hospital.
    Does being used in a hospital change any of the requirements?

    • Dear Mortimer,

      I believe the raspberry pi already has undergone CE certification. The application of the hospital radio seems not to have changed the function of the Raspberry Pi (streaming media over ether net or wifi is a regular function if the device), and thus no new certification would be required.

  32. I deal in stone crushing and mining equipment. A supplier has offered me some goods intended for Africa for which his order was cancelled. They are not normal UK spec. Do I need to CE mark them

    • Hi Joe,

      Do I understand correctly that the goods are intended for Africa? In that case no CE marking is required. However, the African countries may have their own requirements.

  33. When ce marking teepees do I need to get certificates to state the textiles I use conform to en71 standards

    • Yes, they are intended to be used by children in play. Compliance with the EN 71 standard is only a part of the CE requirements.

  34. Hi Han,

    If I produce small metal boxes for storing stuff and I want to sell them to Norway. The product is a simple welded metal box with no moving parts. Does this simple box require CE marking? Does it belong to the category of machinery? As I understand machinery directive 2006/42/EC does not apply to such products.? Are there any other directive that applies?

    • Hi Henry,

      Such box does not require CE marking. It also does not fall within the Machinery Directive (or any other CE marking directive for that matter).

  35. Han good morning please can you advise me if a grill pan than sits on a gas hob requires the CE mark it has no moving parts it simply just sits on the burner support like you would with a saucepan.
    Regards and thanks Mark

  36. Hi i have a question about laboratory equipment manufactured in the US to Standard”ULL 610-10 “Low Voltage Equipment Safety Standard”. This equipment is used on offshore installations within the EU but the installation can move to other oil producing countries. Does this equipment need to be CE marked or is this covered by an exemption.

    • Hi Kevin,

      There are a few things I would like to note:

      1. In the European Union, likely more than one Directive applies. Besides the Low Voltage Directive, you’d need to look at the EMC Directive and possible also the RTTE Directive.

      2. The Low Voltage Directive exempts equipment on board seagoing ships, but the EMC Directive does not have this exemption. That means if the equipment contains electronics or active components and thus falls within the scope of the EMC directive, it still needs to be CE marked in accordance with the EMC directive.

      3. Equipment on sea-going ships still need to comply with international rules.

      4. The ULL 610-10 has no value in the European Union in proving compliance with EU legislation.

      • OK thanks for the response. As we are the end user of the equipment and not placing directly on the market or renting does this have an bearing on the requirement to CE mark. I understand the equipment must meet certain standards and be safe to use.

        • That is correct. The equipment needs to comply with safety regulations and standards before it may be put into service.

  37. I am looking to install a high level fence made with steel masts. Would these masts need to be CE stamped? The steel is CE approved. These would be fabricated and sold within the UK. We are not dealing with the construction industry as such as they are for a golf course. I am aware of changes July 2014…. Many thanks

    • Hello Lisa,

      You need to check if there are European harmonised standards or European Technical Approvals for fences. If there are, they need CE marking. If you need assistance with this investigation, please let me know.

  38. i have a product that I am about to sell through a retailer in Germany. It’s a plastic, battery operated handle (a little bit bigger than a hot dog) with a buffer on the end that spins to polish small metal areas or jewelry, so you hold it like a pencil. Do we have to have a CE mark, crossed out wheel bin and other marking permanently affixed to the on the product? Or can it just be a label that peels off? We believed we only had to put that info on the box and instructions.

    • Hi Steve,

      The CE marking need to be on the product, either as a label or included in the mold. Only in exceptional cases, a product does not need to have the CE mark affixed to it.

  39. I have designed a scrolling LED display, that displays messages it receives from mobile phone, text/sms. For CE marking, LVD, EMC and RTTE would apply. Happy it complies with LVD. EMC & RTTE though not sure, I have done some basic frequency checks and the unit emits no greater radiation than the CE marked 5V DC switch mode power supply. The unit also contains a GPRS/Cellular modem purchased from China. The modem has a cellular engine which is fully CE marked but has had components added around it on a pcb, so as as whole has no approvals. Do I need to get the completed unit fully tested or can I self-certificate ?

    • If the RF module is certified, you can do self-certification on the rest. But in this regard self-certification does not mean you can avoid testing. In particular when you suspect the tests results presented to you are not correct, you’ll better test the whole unit for EMC compliance and electrical safety.

  40. Hi! Mr. Han,
    Do we need CE marking for Electrical Flexible wires, plz. advise.

    Amar Singh Bhutani

  41. Han. I hate to ask and trouble you but I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere else! I make cushions- they do not need CE testing I know. But if they were made from fabric that I draw on for children to colour in- would they then need testing? Many thanks in anticipation

    • No trouble at all Tracey!

      To be considered as a toy for the purpose of the Toys Directive (which requires CE marking), the playing value has to be introduced in an intended way by the manufacturer. I believe it is fair to say that by designing the cushion with the intention for children to colour on, means that you are introducing a playing value, and that therefore the cushion has to be considered a toy and therefore you need to CE mark it.

      • Many thanks for a quick reply. I was expecting that as an answer- but was hoping it would be otherwise. Many thanks

  42. Hans thank you for this informative article. Can you confirm if children’s and adult craft kits containing beads would need to be c e marked and whether the same standards would apply

    • Dear Jody,

      Only craft kits for children may require CE. This depends on the way they are designed. Craft kits for adults do not require CE.

Comments are closed.