Do your products need CE marking?

“Do my products need CE marking?” Not a single day passes by that we do not get this question. In this post, we will try to give you some guidance on how you can answer this question yourself. If after you have read the post you still have questions, or need assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to determine if a product needs CE marking. Unfortunately, there is no authority that provides a product lists or nomenclature that names the products that require CE. Instead you will need to investigate this yourself. We recommend the following steps.

Do my products need CE marking?
Do my products need CE marking?

Step 1: Do you intend to sell in a country in which CE marking applies?

The CE marking applies to products placed in the market or put into service in the European Economic Area. Even so, it only it applies only for certain product groups or product aspects, as we will see in the next step. To answer the question whether a product needs to be CE marked, you first need to first check if the country or countries in which countries the products are going to be placed in the market or used are countries that require CE.

The CE marking is required only for certain products intended to be sold in the countries of the European Economic Area (EEA)

The CE marking is required in the countries that together form the European Economic Area (EEA):

  1. Austria (became member in 1995)
  2. Belgium (Founder Member in 1957)
  3. Bulgaria (2007)
  4. Croatia (2013)
  5. Cyprus (2004)
  6. Czech Republic (2004)
  7. Denmark (1973)
  8. Estonia (2004)
  9. Finland (1995)
  10. France (FM 1957)
  11. Germany (FM 1957)
  12. Greece (1981)
  13. Hungary (2004)
  14. Ireland (1973)
  15. Italy, (FM 1957)
  16. Latvia (2004)
  17. Lithuania (2004)
  18. Luxembourg (FM 1957)
  19. Malta (2004)
  20. The Netherlands (FM 1957)
  21. Poland (2004)
  22. Portugal (1986)
  23. Romania (2007)
  24. Slovakia (2004)
  25. Slovenia (2004)
  26. Spain (1986)
  27. Sweden (1995)

…as well as three members of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA):

    * Iceland
    * Norway
    * Liechtenstein 

Although Switzerland is member of the EFTA, it does not take part in the EEA.

PLEASE NOTE: Turkey is neither member of the EU, nor is considered a part of the EEA. However, Turkey has fully implemented many of the European CE marking directives. This means that for many products they also require CE Marking.

PLEASE NOTE ALSO: Now that the Brexit has been completed, and after a transition period, the United Kingdom will not longer require the CE marking, but they will require the UKCA conformity marking instead.

If the product is not intended to be made available in the aforementioned countries, it will not need CE marking.

The next step is to determine if the product is covered by one or more of the European CE marking directives or regulations.

Step 2: Is the product covered by the scope of a CE directive or regulation?

The CE marking is required only for products for which a CE marking directive or regulation has been adopted. There are directives/regulations for the following types of products (please note that one or more directive/regulation can apply to a single product):

Are your product within the scope of one of these directives or regulations? If so, they require CE marking.

Products that do not require CE

The CE marking is NOT required for the following products:

  • Chemicals
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Cosmetics
  • Foodstuffs

Products not covered by the European CE marking directives may still fall within the scope of other EU or national legislation. If no CE directive or regulation applies, the General Product Safety Directive (2001/95/EC) may apply. This General Product Safety Directives requires that products are safe, but is does not require any marking.

Need help?

At CEMARKING.NET, we have developed a Six Step CE Marking Framework that helps companies to do CE self-certification. We offer this Framework as an On-Line Workshop, as a Coaching Program, and as a Done-For-You service. The first step of this Framework is dedicated to determining which directives and standards apply to your products, and how you can do the CE marking efficiently and in a cost-effective way. We now offer this “Step 1” of our framework as a separate service. That means you can get a report with an overview of the applicable requirements and recommendations with the steps you need to take, without investing in the full service package. Contact us for more information on our services, click the Start Now-button.

Further reading

898 thoughts on “Do your products need CE marking?”

  1. Hi! Is it true that double end powered T8 LED tubes are not CE compatible? Only the single side powered? Where can I check this?

  2. Hi, if i was to make a cushion to be used for theapy with children as a teaching aid would this need to be ce tested? Thanks in advanced x

    • Hi Mer,

      I would need to study the product and the documentation you provide in order to answer this. It could be that this cushion would be considered a toy under the Toys directive and that it would require CE. See my reply to Tracy Toad Hall below.

  3. Hi, I am thinking of making a light fitting to sell. i have sourced components that are all CE marked. do i still need to have the product CE tested or do i just need to provide a paper trail for all the components? thanks

    • Dear David,

      I definitely recommend a CE test over a sole paper trial. Most test and assessments you will be able to do yourself using simple measuring tools, or visual inspections.

      • I was going to get a PAT test done for each fitting by a registered electrician. Would this be suitable.

        and what documentation would required. many thanks.

        • The tests and assessments need to be done in accordance with the European harmonised standards that apply to lighting fittings.

          You need to make a Technical File with at least the following content:

          (a) a general description of the electrical equipment;
          (b) conceptual design and manufacturing drawings and schemes of components, sub-assemblies, circuits, etc.;
          (c) descriptions and explanations necessary for the understanding of those drawings and schemes and the operation of the electrical equipment;
          (d) a list of the harmonised standards applied ;
          (e) results of design calculations made, examinations carried out, etc.; and
          (f) test reports.

  4. Hi Han,
    Is there any specific CE regulations for Head mounted dsiplays which uses Augmented and Virtual reality technologies?

  5. Dear Han
    We import just starting to import an American brand air driven reciprocating positive displacement piston pressure pump range to mount in a frame with pneumatic and hydraulic controls. The pump itself is not CE marked, Can we supply this complete product into the European market without a CE Mark under the 2001/95/EC General Product Safety Directive?-if so what do we have to do to meet the GPSD

    • Hi Jim,

      Unfortunately no. Your pump is covered by at least one CE directive, and therefore must be CE marked and the GPSD cannot be applied. Your pumps are covered by the Machinery Directive.

  6. Hi Han,

    Good morning.

    We are suppose to start export of our Hand Tools viz Hammers, Pliers, Screw Drivers, Cutters and Punches etc. Can you please confirm whether it is essential to certify all products w.r.t. CE Directives? If yes, then which are applicable directives to accommodate all products under this certification?

  7. Dear Han,
    I have made a custom lifting bracket that fits to a truck-mounted crane. It is a one-off piece for a special job. The bracket has been proof load tested for a SWL however I am hearing that we need it to be CE marked to use on another company’s site (in the UK). It’s not a product that we sell so I don’t see why we should have to have it CE-marked. What do you think?

  8. Hi Han,
    I have a question about placing a CE marking on a motorized massage table. (The motors/actuators lift and lower the table, and some also have tilt functionality). I can’t find information on whether a massage table is classified as a medical device or as motorized furniture? It seems overkill to classify it as a medical device when it really is just commercial furniture used in spas. I appreciate any insight you can provide!!

    • Dear Jen,

      I agree with you: it would be a bit much to say that massage tables are medical devices. I think you need to look at the Machinery Directive and EMC Directive.

  9. Hi Mr. Han,
    I would like to asked if Cosmetics and Food Supplements less than 5kg that will be shift via courier from UAE to Bulgaria requires CE Certificate from Bulgarian Drug Agency? If yes, how and where we will apply for it.
    Thank you.

    • Hi Elaine,

      Thank you for your question. Sorry I can’t answer it. I am not a specialist in regulations for food and cosmetics.

  10. Hi Han,

    We have been selling our products in Europe for the last 30 years, but in the last months the customs officers in France appear to be unhappy with the CE Declaration only and are asking us for Test Reports on the EMC Directive, not even for the entire Technical File. Until we submit the equipment is stuck in customs. Do they have the right to ask for further documentation than the Declaration? Thanks,

  11. Morning Han, we have been buying and selling a hydraulic tool from China into the uk and wondered how we can check whether the CE certificate is genuine?

    • Hi Dave,
      One way I would check is to ask for the test report(s) that back up their claim. If they don’t have one then
      I would be very suspicious. Jus’ sayin…
      Hope Han doesn’t mind that I jumped in ;-)

    • Ask for the Declaration of Conformity, certificate of a third party and the test or assessment reports. Ensure also that the manufacturer has done a risk analysis, has compiled a Technical File and that a user instruction is available in English .

  12. Hi Han, Recently someone told me that design evaluation boards, like the Xilinx eval boards, are no longer required to be tested for the CE mark. Do you know of a recent ruling that exempts design evaluation boards?

  13. HI HAN

    I was once told that if you use a CE certified step-down transformer (220v to 110v) between the wall plug and the piece of fitness equipment for a 110v machine that this will meet CE standards. Is this true?

    • Mike, we cannot say this in general. It all depends on how it is done. It needs to be assessed using the appropriate European harmonized standards.

  14. Dear Han. Are you familiar with the overall EEA legislation concerning reuse of building materials and whether these materials are required a CE certification?

    • Jesper, building materials need to comply with the Construction Products Regulation, and must be CE marked and accompanied by a Declaration of Performance.

      • Dear Han. Thank you for the swift reply. If the reused building material as been produced before the implementation of the Construction Products Regulation, wouldn’t the requirement fall short? Say I wanted to sell used bricks. I cannot test every single one, thus not able to CE certify them and thereby sell them?

  15. Dear Han, I have a power supply which is connected to the mains and a low voltage electronic PCB that I wish to package inside a metal cabinet. both the power supply and PCB have CE approval. do I need CE approval for the metal cabinet? or of the whole package consisting of these 3 separate items?

    • It is good that the 3 parts already have CE. How have you ensured the parts really comply? (There are a lot of fake CE’s, in particular with power supplies. I ask because you company would become responsible for the compliance of the whole unit).
      I also would ensure that the whole unit complies with EMC and electrical safety requirements, though some indicative tests.

  16. Dear Han,
    My company manufactures an electric Milk Shake Spindle Mixer that is intended to be machine mounted and electrically connected to a commercial ice cream maker. Mounting of our mixer requires the end user to provide a EMC Filter and a primary on/off switch. Since our mixer requires the above components to be operational, does this fall outside the scope of the Low Voltage Directive. I am trying to determine if our component requires the CE Marking.

    I greatly appreciate time and expertise.

    • You mixer has electrical parts and perhaps also electronics. It must comply with the electrical safety requirements of the Low Voltage Directive or the Machinery Directive (which will be the same). The customer that receives your product must know that your parts comply and you need to provide evidence, even although the final CE is for the complete unit.

  17. Hi Han,
    Sorry if this is a repeated question. Are you able/allowed to self CE Mark a product if you are not a UK Entity?
    Thanks in advance for your time.

    • Dear Japheth,

      The location for the conformity assessment (whether certification or self-certification) is not relevant. If self-certification is allowed for a product, also the manufacturer outside the EU can do self-certification.

      Kind Regards,


  18. Hi. Can you tell me how the CE marking works for private imports from 3rd countries? Is a private person able to buy from US or China non-CE marked products that normally shall be CE marked if sold in Europe, or would this be confiscated by the Customs authorities?

  19. Hi Han, I have bought at refrigerating/freezer appliance from China. They said it had CE approved on their website at sent me a CE certificate via email. However on the machine there is no CE mark, or name plate. Can I use this on my commercial premises? If not, is there a way around it?

    They claim they forgot to attach it and have sent me a picture of where it should have the

    The device is crucial to the success of my startup business and I am due to sign contracts for my leas today, so would appreciate your advice.

    • The CE marking should be on the appliance. If it does not have it, that is already a non-conformity right there, and it is not very promising. I recommend you to investigate a bit further. We can check the Declaration of Conformity and the certificate for you. Contact me to discuss how we can set that up.

    • There is no requirement that fixes the rated voltage. Please note that the harmonized rated voltage from domestic sockets/power mains is 230Volts.

  20. Hello mr Han, i want to import from China some USB data cables that also work for charging mobile phones on low voltage (5v). Cables will be sold as standalone product, so practically when used, it wil be conected to a CE certified device (such as PC or wall plug/transformer). Dose this cables need CE certification? if yes, there will be enough a certificate from the chinese manufacturer? Thank you.

  21. Hi I was wondering if a company decides to brand our medical device as an OBL, are we obliged to provide them our technical file? What are our responsibilities as the original manufacturer?
    Thank you

    • Dear Natalie, No you do not have to provide you with your Technical File. You can make arrangements that access will be given only to the authorities upon a request.

      • Dear Han, Thank you but I was wondering then how is the company supposed to put together a Technical File to submit to CE authorities if they do not know the components of the product nor if they were tested correctly etc :)

  22. Dear Han,
    Is CE marking absolutely required for business to business sales? I am here referring to 24V equipment installed in machines, and the customer isn’t requiring this.
    Thanks in advance

  23. Hi Han,
    I would like to know if there are any electronic components that would require the CE mark in the European union. Specifically, I am interested in LEDs. My thoughts are that they would not be required to have the CE mark, as they have a below 75V DC operating voltage, do not radiate RFI, and are not an end-product.

  24. Hi Han, is the following statement true?
    CE marking is applicable for goods which are sold within the European market and shows evidence that goods are produced according the applicable legal standards and accepted norms.
    However, in case compliance with normative requirements can be proven (e.g. webbing slings, constructed and tested in compliance with EN 1492) through third party examination, there is an equivalence with EG machine directive.
    This means that, in our case, Australian supplied lifting gear is checked and tested against the applicable EN standard, and will be accepted as such and can be used according the specifications within the EU.

    Therefore, it will be the best approach to have the remaining lifting gear checked and re certified against the applicable EN standards. The original certificates are accepted as evidence (even under ISM) that the lifting gear is in compliance with the European standards.

    • Dear Bert,
      CE marking indicates compliance with the relevant Directives (not standards). In order to prove compliance with the relevant Directives, the manufacturer may use certain European harmonized standards (i.e. this standards that the European Commission has published on a list). Even other standards may be used, but compliance with those will not directly prove compliance with the CE directives. Designing and manufacturing products in accordance with European harmonized standards is the easiest way to ensure compliance with the CE marking directives, and therefore it is recommended to use them. )Please note that not all EN standards are European harmonized standards)

      In your case, you would have the Australian lifting gear manufactured in accordance with European harmonized standards. However, that is not enough to affix the CE marking. You’d also need to do/receive proof of a risk analysis, instructions for use, Technical File, compliant product labeling, a Declaration of Conformity and properly affixed CE mark.
      In other words, compliance with a European harmonized standard is the starting point for CE marking, not the be-all-end-all.

      • Dear Han, thank you for your explanation. The lifting gear is already in use for several months. Does it mean that in spite of recertification according a harmonised standard, this gear is still unfit for use within the EC (or it’s member countries) and should be destroyed? Australian factories do not accept CE marking as compliant with Australian requirements. And they are not really eager to supply goods with CE marking on it as well.
        hope to hear from you.

        • Dear Bert,
          Sorry for the delay in reply.
          No, it does not automatically mean that the Australian gear is unfit for use. It really can be concluded only after you assess it. Often there are some smaller adjustments that will make it compliant. I’ll be glad to look at the details of this case and let you know if we can be of help.

  25. Dear Han. Sorry if my question is repeated. Our customer in France wanted to buy 2 samples of our electric bikes which are manufactured in Vietnam. Must we obtain CE marking for the samples? Our customer did not mention it and the custom officer in Vietnam did not require it for the custom clearance either. However, I am afraid that our bikes will be rejected by French custom. Thank you!

      • Hi Han. Thank you very much. I suppose that our samples do need CE then. It is really urgent for us to get CE mark as our customers already made the payment and they are expecting to receive our e-bikes ASAP. Hence, we would like to have an agent to take care of obtaining CE marking for us. Do you offer that service? If yes, I would like to be advised on whom I should contact with as well as what I should do next. Best regards!

        • Thao Vuong, can you send me an email or submit the form at the support page (click “Support” from the top navigation bar)? Thank you.

          • Hi Han! I submitted the form at the support page yesterday. Please kindly check it out. Thanks a bunch. Thao.

  26. Hi Han, I found this blog today.
    I am looking to make something that wouldn’t need any certification except that I’m looking to add a 5v LED light strip and a mini controller. This will be powered by battery from 3x AA battery box.
    The LED strip alone would not require certification due to the low voltage and no RF. What may come under the EMF legislation is the controller for the LED’s. One available is switched via buttons on the body of the controller and the other by RF remote. These will be purchased in the UK and carry CE mark.
    What level of research is required to enable me to self cert?
    Thank You

    • Dear Wayne,

      You’ll need to have the product tested against European harmonized standards that pertain to the applicable CE Directives + you’ll need to make a Technical File and keep it up to date. On the home page we have a summary of the whole procedure.

  27. Dear Han, Thank you. but I was wondering then how is the company supposed
    to put together a Technical File to submit to CE authorities if they do
    not know the components of the product nor if they were tested
    correctly etc :)

    • Hi Natalie,

      :) You are right. They cannot. The process starts with identifying the applicable directives and standards. This is the responsibility of the manufacturers, nit of the authorities. If the manufacturer does not know how to determine the applicable directives and standards, they can get help from organisations like ours.

  28. Dear, Han
    A question about CE certificate. If the machine manufacturer decide to change supplier of few components. Definitely, the new supplier is qualified by CE as well, all the components are marked by CE on their nameplates.
    Nothing will be changed in the machine testing condition even if the component is replaced by new one.

    Is it necessary to renew the CE certificate of the machine once again?

    Thank you in advance.

    • You say that “nothing will be changed in the machine testing condition”, however that remains to be seen. For example, electronic components have different behaviour regarding the emission and susceptibility of electromagnetic interference. Changing one component for a component from another supplier will change the EM measurement results for the product as well.
      With other types of components the similar things apply. For example, mechanical components from different suppliers may have differences in material composition, strength etc.

  29. Hi. If a self employed individual was given a design for a wall lamp by a designer who themselves were under commission by a private client. Who would be termed the manufacturer? Or who would be responsible for ensuring conformity?

    • Neil,

      That depends on the contract/assignment you have been given. Both you and your customer can be manufacturer under different conditions.

      • The client and end user approached the designer with an idea, the designer did the drawings, I modified the drawings and will manufacture the main body of the lamps and a competent person ( electrician ) will install the electrics and mound the lamps on the wall.

        • Under who’s (brand) name will the lamps be delivered to the end user? And under what terms and conditions? Are you contracted by the designer?
          In any case, you will need to apply the appropriate European harmonised standards for lightning fixtures to the lamps and when mounting them. A lot of the conformity assessments you’ll be able to as a visual inspection on the basis of the standard. Some tests may have to be outsourced to a test lab.

  30. Hello Han,
    As PD Manager I am trying to get the CE self-certification for a product my company is intended to export to the EU, specifically a differential pressure control monitor for dust collectors. We are considering to pay the $199 of the CE Marking Toolbox in order to get the support we need but I was reading your blog and started to wonder.. does all components of my control monitor have to have de CE mark? Maybe my product is not even elegible because of this fact and in this scenario I would preferably have to start all over again with the manufacture :S

    Thank you very much in advance.

    Best regards,

    • Dear Berenice,

      In CE marking, the product as a whole needs CE, not the individual components. CE is required only when the product is covered by one or more of the CE marking directives. Our support would be aimed at determining that. If the conclusion is that your product does not require CE, we will provide you with a written confirmation, which you will be able to show your customers and prospects.
      Is the pressure monitor an electronic device? If so, I can already confirm it will need CE marking.

  31. Hi again Han, Thank you so much for your response. I was wondering
    seeing the original manufacturer obviously has all the information on
    the product should they not assist the OBL? I am sorry but I am really trying to understand what are the benefits then of being an OBL if they do not have all pertinent info. Can they not just send application to CE Marking office and say that for technical file contact the original manufacturer?

    • In an ideal case the original manufacturer will assist the OBL and provide the Technical File. However, sometimes the manufacturers don’t want, and sometimes the Notifies Body will disagree. In any case, the OBL is the ‘person’ that presents itself in the market as manufacturer, and therefore is seen by the authotities as having the responsibilities of the manufacturer. Referring to the original manufacturer is not sufficient. Who knows, maybe they did not do the conformity assessment (correctly), or there is no Technical File, no quality system, risk analysis etc etc. It is the responsibility of the OBL to ensure the devices comply and to have proof that all requirements have been met.

  32. Hello Han,
    So sorry for writing this frequently (I swear this is the last time) but I was in a meeting today with my CEO and we discussed about what you told me yesterday. At the end, we went on a struggle on what must be certificated then? Our control monitor has different “versions” (e.g. “premium”, “standard) depending, basically, on the quantity of sensors and level of control. In that case, must we certificate each electronic card – which serves as the brain of the control monitor – or can we certificate the whole board?

    Thanks a lot!

    • No problem Bere :) If the versions have a different configuration, they will all need a separate CE marking. If they are the same in basis but differ in complexity, you may look at the possibility of testing the most complex configuration and have that tested and certified. You can PM me if you need assistance with setting that up.

  33. Hi Han,

    Based on the above would I be right to assume imported lights from India would require CE marking to be sold in the UK or would they be covered under GPSD 2001/95/EC ?

    If they were PAT Tested would that cover them ?



    • Paul, the GPSD is not a CE marking. You cannot affix CE on the basis of compliance with the 2001/95/EC.

      However, lights typically need CE not because of the 2001/95/EC, but because of the Low Voltage Directive (2014/34/EU).

  34. Hi Han, I am currently designing / manufacuring and selling childrens superhero capes. As clothing there would be no CE mark but as under 14’s play ckothes it would be needed? Am I correct? Many thanks, Debbie

    • Yes, you are. I think it is fair to say that these are intended to be used by children under 14 years in play, and therefore they need CE marking.

  35. Hi Han, thanks for the site. I have been working on a lamp design It runs on 12volts dc . According to what I read in the Low Voltage Directive (2006/95/EC)
    Article 1 states the Directive covers “any equipment designed for use with a voltage rating of between 50 and 1000 V for A.C. and between 75 and 1500 V for D.C, other than the equipment and phenomena listed in Annex II.” to
    So it seems that I do not need CE certification. I use a commercial bought wall transformer that does have CE certification to power the product.
    Am I correct in thinking that I do not need CE certification ?

    thanks for your time


    • Ivan,

      The lamp itself may not require CE, but the power adapter does. Since your company places the lamp+power adapter in the market, it is responsible for the compliance of both. In other words, you must ensure the power adapter is compliant.

      • Hans,

        thanks thats a great help. Yes the power adapter is compliant. It has CE certification.
        thanks again.

  36. Hi Han,
    I’m thinking of bringing wood burning stoves in to the UK from non EU countries.
    Do they need CE certification…? I can’t find them on your list, but is the list exhaustive…?

        • The permanent stoves may have to comply with the Construction Products Regulation 305/2011. This depends on the question whether there re European harmonized standards or technical specifications for them. If you need help to determine this, please let me know.

  37. Hello Han

    I build equipment that is powered by 240 volt and 415 volt. These are made to BS 2012. All custom made. Every machine are built with quality CE marked products. I have a data folder for all the CE items built in the cabinet. The only item thats not Mark CE is the cabinet. My question is as they are custom made, do I need CE, as all items are CE items.

    Hope this makes Sense.

    • Dear Stuart,

      Yes, the CE marking also applies to custom build equipment. I cannot find the BS 2012, and so I cannot check if it is a European harmonised standard. If it is it will help you with providing the documented evidence that your equipment complies.
      The cabinet itself (enclosure) is not a product that requires CE, the electrical and electronic parts it contains does. It is good that all the components separately are CE approved, but you need to ensure that the cabinet as a whole (including electronics/electrical parts) comply as well.

  38. Hello Han

    Many thanks for a quick reply, the machines are built to BS EN 60335-2-79:2012. It all seems very confusing. I have a build folder for each machine, that has all the reverent CE documentation for each component including Instruction manual and Serial numbers for each machine.

    Is it possible to do the CE myself, as I think the machines are built to the above standard. I have every part CE docs.

    Thanks again for all your help


    • Dear Stuart,

      Yes, you can do self-certification. When you need help, I can guide you through the process. The standard you mention only applies to the electrical safety of the cabinet. How about the EMC? And what about the mechanical safety of the equipment according the Machinery Directive?

  39. Dear: Mr Han
    First thank you for all effort you do to help peopel
    is the door handle and garden light need CE Marking
    Mohamed Hussein

    • Door handel -> please check the Construction Products Regulation.
      Garden lights -> please check the Low Voltage Directive (2014/34/EU) and the EMC Directive (2004/108/EC)

  40. Hello Han,

    I’m starting a small company and I need to buy some equipment to be used for manufacturing the company’s products (toys). It’s possible to buy/use this equipment (from USA) if it’s not CE marked?

    Thank you!

  41. Dear Mr Han
    What is the difference between Drective Low voltage 2014- 34 and 2014 – 35

  42. Hello Han

    If a China Electric bike factory confirms that it has the CE certification for a specific electric bike model, what will be the CE certification documentations that this factory have to furnish me so that I can bring this bike model into the UK market? Is there an independent verification body in China who can check the documentations to confirm to me if the bike meets the CE standard requirements?
    Thanks you in advance!

  43. Dear Han!
    As a distributor, my manufacturer has CE certification for its products – can I have a CE Certificate issued for the same product but under a different brand name / serial no.?

    • Dear @csabadaniss:disqus,

      You can if the manufacturer and the certification body agree with you doing so and even so, only if the manufacturer will share the Technical File with you.

      • Thank You for Your prompt reply!
        So, if I can convince the manufacturer – since he has the technical file, amongst others – to arrange for certification for the same product(s) only with different branding, I could recieve a CE certificate, along with which I must take over his responsibilities as a manufacturer?

        • In a nutshell, yes. Indeed your company takes over the responsibility of the manufacturer, and that means your company does have to do some effort, like ensuring that the OEM has applied the requirements and standards correctly and that the paperwork is in order. If not, your company is responsible to ensure corrective actions are taken.

  44. Hello,

    My US company has a construction equipment product we sell in the US and now an EU customer has shown interest. We aren’t sure we want to enter the EU market but would like to have the customer see and possibly evaluate the product. I believe the applicable directives for the product are 2014/53/EU, 2006/95/EC, 2006/42/EC

    Can we:
    1.Personally take the product over and demonstrate/operate it in a controlled environment (warehouse);
    2.Personally take the product over and demonstrate/operate it on a construction site;
    3.Personally take the product over and leave it with the potential customer for them to operate/evaluate on a construction site;
    4.Ship the product to the potential customer to operate/evaluate.

    I understand any of these situations would require warning statements and such, but I haven’t found a clear answer to the limits of the “trade show example” exemption, or if this would fall under “beta testing”. Thanks!

    • Hello yoyoyo,

      To answer your question:

      “Can we:

      1.Personally take the product over and demonstrate/operate it in a controlled environment (warehouse);”
      Yes, you can provided that you take safety precautions.

      “2.Personally take the product over and demonstrate/operate it on a construction site;”
      Yes, you can provided that you take safety precautions. The product obviously cannot be fixed into the building permanently.

      “3.Personally take the product over and leave it with the potential customer for them to operate/evaluate on a construction site;”

      “4.Ship the product to the potential customer to operate/evaluate.”


  45. Hi Han
    Our company design engineer and manufacture large offshore and onshore fire and blast proof steel modules for accomodation or to house equipment such as electrical switchgear. Most of the equipment from other manufactures installed into the modules has CE marking, the question is do our modules (the enclosure) require CE marking, The modules are complete before they enter the customers site.
    Many thanks

  46. Hi Han, this is a very helpful site. I am trying to find a special exemption for testing high tech batteries. I am trying to buy a prototype based off of a cd marked battery that has been modified. I would like to test in eu with the manufacturer present. Is this possible? Under what co dirk s does it become restricted? Thank you

      • Thanks for the quick reply. One more clarifying question. Can I buy the prototype non ce marked batteries or do I need to pay for the ability to test them? Can any money be exchanged? What are the guidelines for test vs product?

        Thanks for your help.

Comments are closed.