The European Commission publishes a “Opinion of the Commission pursuant to Article 294(7)(c) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, on the European Parliament’s amendment(s) to the Council’s position regarding the proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)”
The amendment containing this compromise package concerns essentially:
- the establishment of new collection targets per Member State seven years after entry into force, with an intermediate target four years after entry into force;
- the take-back of small WEEE at large retail shops unless alternative schemes can be shown to be at least as effective;
- the widening of the scope to include all electrical and electronic equipment, six years after entry into force, with additional exemptions, and after a review to be carried out by the Commission;
- the harmonisation of registration and reporting requirements, while acknowledging that these requirements are in principle national to allow for effective enforcement;
- the introduction of minimum requirements for shipments of used equipment which are suspected to be illegal waste shipments, including reversal of the burden of proof, and specific derogations.
The proposal can be found in the WEEE section of our CE Marking Library.