The European Committee for Standardisation (CEN) has recently published the new toy safety standard EN 71- 7:2014 for finger paints. This revised standard is expected to be harmonised under the Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC for presumption of conformity.
On 2 April 2014, the CEN published the revised toy safety standard EN 71-7:2014 to accommodate the requirements for finger paints. The standard also applies to finger paints supplied in powder form (for example to which water might be added before use). Powdered finger paint has to be prepared according to the manufacturer’s instructions before testing.
This new version contains the following changes:
Safety of Toys Part 7: Finger Paints Requirements and Test Methods
– Substances and materials in finger paints
– Requirements for finger paints in powder form apply to the finger paint prepared according to manufacturer’s instructions
– Requirements for markings, labelling and containers
– Should comply with EN 71-12:2013 or latest version
– pH value should be between 4 and10 (EN ISO 787-9)
5. Primary Packaging:
[In accordance with (Consumer packaging under Directive 2009/48/EC) or outer packaging under Regulation (EC) 1272/2008]]
– Manufacture’s name and address
– Label with indication of preservatives and embittering agents used
Warning. Children under 3 years of age should be supervised by adults
Additional warning for finger paints supplied in powder form:
Warning. Mix with water in accordance with the instructions before giving to a child.
Additionally, information should be included to avoid inhalation of the powder.
6. Primary Aromatic Amines (PAAs):
– 4 PAAs prohibited
Other carcinogenic PAAs
– 20 mg/kg (total PAAs) and 10 mg/kg (each PAA)
7. Soluble elements:
– Conform to EN 71-3:2013 or latest version (Toy material category II, liquid and sticky)
8. Taste and Smell:
– Must not be sweetened, flavoured or fragranced
– An embittering agent as specified in the standard needs to be added to discourage the
ingestion of finger paint.
Source: SGS Safeguards Newsletter, Week 19
[x_share title=”Share this Post” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” email=”true”]
[author title=”About the Author”]